Re: [SQL] Agregate Problem? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: [SQL] Agregate Problem?
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 17:01 +0300 on 15/08/1999, Len Morgan wrote:

> SELECT itemno,sum(qty) FROM sales WHERE sale_date = 'now()::date'
>
> I would expect to get back zero rows if there were no sales today but I get
> back 1.  Of course I also get back 1 row if I only sold 1 item.  Is this a
> bug or a "feature?"

This is a correct behaviour when there is no GROUP BY. PostgreSQL does this
in GROUP BY, too, unfortunately. But it's not a big problem - you merely
have to check whether the returned row has a NULL value instead of the sum.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma